If you have the right tools and plan ahead of time, you can move a mattress much easier on moving day. If you prefer, you also can have your Moving Help Service Provider transport a mattress for you.
Using The Right Tools
Before you can answer the question “How to move a mattress,” you need to make sure you have the right tools. The most important tool you can have when you move a mattress is having moving bags for mattresses. Your mattress will be ruined if it’s exposed to any outdoor elements, and you don’t want to ruin your mattress.
Below are some tools you might want to use when you move a mattress.
- Mattress bags
- Mattress protectors
- Packing tape
- Baking soda
- Ratchet or tie down straps
- Disinfectant spray
- Microfiber cloth
You might not need all these tools, but these are all the tools you should need to move a mattress.
Steps to Move a Mattress with Someone Else
- Plan your route out and keep in mind of any narrow doors or hallways. Note whether you’ll have to take any stairs.
- Clear out items that’ll be in your way.
- With the help of one other person, move a mattress into the protector bag. Seal it with packing tape.
- You and one other person will then flip the mattress to its side.
- You and the other person will slightly lift the mattress off the ground while moving it.
- Make sure to use a wall or stair rail for extra support when dealing with stairs.
- Use the loading ramp and put the mattress on the side of the moving truck’s wall.
- Make sure it’s near the back of the truck so it can be one of the first items to take out and set up in your new home.
- Strap it down with a ratchet or tie down straps.
- Another option is to slide the mattress between two taller pieces of furniture.
- If your mattress needs to be cleaned up a bit, sprinkle some baking soda on it. Wait for two hours and then vacuum it up.
- Another option is to use disinfectant spray and then wipe it down afterward.
Steps to Move a Mattress by Yourself
What if you don’t have someone else to help you? You’ll still follow the same steps above, but you’ll need to be careful putting the mattress on its side. Additionally, you’ll need to drag instead of lift, so be careful during transport and be sure to take your time.
DIY or Hire some Help
Now that you have the tools on how to move a mattress, you can do it yourself, or you can choose to have a Moving Help Service Provider transport your mattress for you. The best part about how to move a mattress is you don’t need that many tools to do it yourself.