What do I need to think about besides my belongings?
You need to think about how you’ll save money, where you’ll live, how you’ll earn an income, and many other important tasks before using Moving Help to move your belongings. In this guide, Moving Help will give you some overall tips and tricks to use for your move to another country.
What to consider before moving to a new country?
If you’ve been seriously considering moving to a new country, have your belongings packed already, or the idea recently popped into your head, you’ll need to consider multiple items before you just buy an international plane ticket. Below is a list of items to keep in mind before moving.
What to do in the beginning:
- Start saving now
- Apply for or renew your passport
- Apply for a visa (depending on your situation)
- Have a copy of your vaccination records
- Get up to date on your shots
- Figure out if you need to get health care in your new country
- Register with the U.S. Embassy Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)
Gathering and planning for important documents:
- Contact your bank about your move and see whether you can still bank with them internationally
- Find an international bank if your current bank won’t work
- Contact your phone provider and figure out an international plan
- Make copies of important documents
- Birth certificate, medical records, social security cards, marriage certificates, school records, etc.
- Keep U.S. mailing address on file
- Find travel insurance
Paying for expenses and living in your new country:
- Think about how you’ll make an income and possibly find a new job before moving
- Reach out to anyone who has studied or lived abroad to gain insight
- If you can, talk to someone who has lived in the country you’re moving to
- Cancel all subscriptions except for ones you’ll use internationally
- Find housing
- Renting first before buying is typically better, so you can get a better feeling of the surrounding areas before you purchase a house
- Pet documentation
- Make sure your new country allows your pet, what shots your pet needs, and what restrictions they have for your pet
While this isn’t an exclusive list, you can see how quickly everything adds up when you’re trying to figure out how to move to another country.
Plan Ahead of Schedule
Just like if you were going to move in-town or across the country, you’ll want to plan ahead. Last-minute moves aren’t great, and it’ll be exponentially worse with a move to another country. By staying focused and on track of schedule, you’ll be able to have a more manageable and less stressful moving day.
Moving Help is There for You Anywhere
Moving Help can assist you throughout the entire moving process. Whether you need help loading and unloading or just cleaning, the Moving Help Marketplace has many Service Providers who can help you make your transition to another country smoother and not as stressful.