Moving locally can tend to be quite a bit easier than moving a long distance or across the country. That still doesn’t mean you shouldn’t prepare in advance or make your life easier by using a trick or two. Check out our Moving Help® tips for moving locally to see how you can make your local moving experience smoother.
Along with using Moving Help’s local moving tips, you’ll find having a Service Provider from the Moving Help Marketplace will make moving day less stressful.
What Should I Do to Prepare?
Moving Help recommends following the list below to successfully prepare yourself for local moving. These local moving tips and tricks will make the whole process easier. It’s also important to stick to your packing timeline.
- Begin moving preparations as soon as possible
- If you know you’re moving locally in eight weeks, get started now vs. waiting for four weeks before preparing to pack
- Prepare packing supplies
- Pack in stages: start with seasonal items, then less used items, then items you use every day
- Declutter and don’t pack anything you don’t like, need, or want to take to your new home
- Update your address for your utilities
- Update change of address for mail
- Update bank address
- Forward mailing subscriptions
- Change address on driver’s license
- Create an inventory list of your belongings
- Calculate moving costs
- Decide who will help you pack: family members, friends, or yourself
What Else Should I Think About?
You’ll want to decide whether any large furniture items are coming with you or are staying behind when moving locally. You can sell or donate any items you no longer want or need. If you decide to sell your items, you can put them toward your moving budget funds.
You should always label boxes and have an essentials bag packed. Eat up the food in your fridge and freezer and donate any unopened dry or canned goods that you won’t use.
You’ll want to make sure you’ve scheduled your U-Haul truck rental, trailer, or U-Box container for your local moving day along with hiring a local provider from the Moving Help Marketplace. A Service Provider can efficiently and quickly unload and load your items.
If you need some more ways to save money, check out our saving tips when moving locally guideline.
What Will Help Me Have a Successful Local Moving Day?
You should have all your boxes packed and ready to go unless you hired a packing service. You should have your U-Haul truck, trailer, or U-Box at your first location before your local moving labor team arrives at your location.
Moving Help Can Make Your Local Move Easier
By following Moving Help’s local moving tips and tricks, you’ll make your moving day less stressful knowing you were prepared. The more prepared you are when moving locally, the more likely you’ll have a less stressful experience.
Moving Help has many professional moving labor providers on the Moving Help Marketplace that can help you when moving locally that’ll fit your budget and needs.