A full-service move will usually involve a packing service. But you should always ask your moving company whether they offer packing services.
Once you find out whether they offer packing services, make sure you follow up to find out if it’s included in your quote or if it’s an add-on.
How much does a full-service moving company pack?
A full-service moving company can pack everything in your home. The packing service isn’t cheap, and you’ll typically pay for the packing service by the hour. If you have a one-bedroom apartment, it’ll be cheaper to have everything packed vs. a four-bedroom house.
You also may have the choice of a partial packing service. Some customers might pick this option to save money and to pack the easy items. Then, they’ll have their full-service moving company pack the fragile and breakable items.
Can I pack everything myself or certain rooms?
Yes, you can pack everything yourself or pack certain rooms in your home. You’ll want to inform your full-service moving company that you plan to pack everything or certain rooms.
If you pack everything yourself, it’ll help your moving day go by faster. Your movers can get right to loading your belongings in the truck instead of packing first.
Some people would rather save some money and pack themselves. Whereas some people find their time more valuable than the cost and would rather not pack.
Having a Moving Company Pack vs. Packing Yourself
Like anything, you’ll have some pros and cons with having a moving company pack everything for you during the full-service move vs. packing everything yourself.
Moving Company Pros and Cons for Packing
- One pro of having a moving company pack for you is they’ll bring all the supplies — including boxes, tapes, and markers.
- Another pro for a moving company to pack for you is they’ll take away your moving boxes after unloading everything for you, so you don’t have to worry about disposing of the moving boxes properly.
- A final pro for a moving company to pack for you is they’ll have trained employees who know how to pack for a move.
- A con for a moving company to pack for you is it’ll be expensive.
- Another con for a moving company to pack for you is it’ll take longer to complete your move.
- A final con for a moving company is they can still accidentally break your items while packing.
Pros and Cons of Packing Yourself
- A pro of packing yourself is it’ll save you money.
- Another pro of packing yourself is you can have friends and family members help you pack.
- A final pro of packing yourself is you can label your boxes, write fragile and arrows on the appropriate boxes, and make sure all boxes are labeled properly for which room they belong in your new home.
- A con of packing yourself is you, your friends, or your family members might be inexperienced packers, and this could cause items to break.
- Another con of packing yourself is you might overpack boxes and make boxes too heavy to load or safely hold your belongings.
- A final con of packing yourself is you might rush packing your items, which could cause items to break.
Even if you decide the moving company can pack for you during your full-service move, or you’re going to pack yourself, you should always declutter your home. You need to go through everything in your home, and if you don’t use it now, sell it, donate it, or throw it away.
It’ll cost you money and time if you pack belongings that you don’t want or need anymore.
Full-Service Moves Involve Packing
You should always check whether packing is included or is an add-on service during your full-service move. Afterward, you’ll need to decide whether you want the moving company to pack everything, partially pack everything, or if you’re going to pack everything yourself. You’ll have some pros and cons with the moving company packing or packing your belongings yourself.
If you want to pack yourself, you can read our how to get started packing article to learn more about packing.